Vera direct-color mode

nachokb

Sep 16, 2019
I wonder, why didn't @TomXP411 add a 12-bit direct-color mode to Vera? After all, 320x240x12b < 128 kiB and it would be useful, even if games would be precluded from using sprites (by having little VRAM left).

Demomakers would love that.

Also, I hated palettes in the 90s ūü§£.

May 22, 2019
uhm, because I'm not the person who built VERA?

Also, there was some discussion of that on FB, and David said something about not wanting to break out pixels across bytes. It would be a 3:3:3 color mode, which is difficult to do efficiently. I don't remember the exact comment, because I wasn't all that interested.

And personally, I think even 256 colors is too many colors. the only correct colors for a computer screen are green phosphor and unlit green phosphor.

May 22, 2019
I think I see the confusion. I copied David Murray's post from the Facebook group. That wasn't my work. :)

I write a lot of software, but because I work for a software and hardware company, I can't really things like this on the side. I can get away with small utility programs, but building a GPU wold definitely put me in "my employer owns that" territory.

nachokb

Sep 16, 2019
I think I see the confusion. I copied David Murray's post from the Facebook group. That wasn't my work. :)

I write a lot of software, but because I work for a software and hardware company, I can't really things like this on the side. I can get away with small utility programs, but building a GPU wold definitely put me in "my employer owns that" territory.
Oh yeah maybe. I don't remember how I looked that up but I was sleepy! Sorry

nachokb

Sep 16, 2019
uhm, because I'm not the person who built VERA?

Also, there was some discussion of that on FB, and David said something about not wanting to break out pixels across bytes. It would be a 3:3:3 color mode, which is difficult to do efficiently. I don't remember the exact comment, because I wasn't all that interested.

And personally, I think even 256 colors is too many colors. the only correct colors for a computer screen are green phosphor and unlit green phosphor.
I imagine there's something about VRAM chips speed as well.

Also, each 4-bit "plane" is a little over 32kb (37.5kb to be exact) so you can't break it that way (pseudo planar mode)...

Sep 9, 2019
I wonder, why didn't @TomXP411 add a 12-bit direct-color mode to Vera? After all, 320x240x12b < 128 kiB and it would be useful, even if games would be precluded from using sprites (by having little VRAM left).

Demomakers would love that.

Also, I hated palettes in the 90s ūü§£.
In theory once hardware is more final and the emulator is more accurate, change the some of the palette as quickly as possible ( who knows how much per hblank though )
or alternatively. write to color zero with no increment like we could do with the MegaDrive ?

Sep 9, 2019
Not the same. I was asking about a simpler direct-color mode, no palette.
Part of the fun of these systems is figuring out how to go further than the designers intended . DC mode isn't within the scope but I offered ways it could work maybe. It'd have to be lower resolution anyway just to fit in 128kb