VIC-20 project ... case badge needed

dcarlson314

Jun 25, 2019
Howdy folks! I've just acquired a good VIC20 fixer-upper but the problem is it doesn't have a badge.

I haven't opened the case up yet to see what rev it is, but for now, I'm wondering if there's a good place to go to for proper badges with the embossing etc.

Does anyone here have any original, embossed VIC20 badges for sale at all?

Thanks!
-DC

Markeno

Jul 19, 2019
hobbytronics.home.blog
I have not seen Vic20 badges (embossed that is, I did find these: http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?82379-VIC20-VC20-replica-paper-label-case-badges they aren't embossed, and the thread hasn't updated in awhile).

I don't know if this seller would be interested in making them though: https://www.ebay.com/usr/marstickers?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

They make the C64 embossed badges, standard, silver commodore, gold commodore and "gold label" styles. I recently ordered the gold label, as I am not going for the original look on my C64 that came without a badge, it won't ever be quite factory anyways for various reasons. My other C64 is quite original and I plan to keep it that way. I am not sure, but they look to possibly be using a CNC machine? I won't know until mine arrives.

I did order some silver chrome Commodore Stickers for the seller a few months ago. I plan putting on them C64 power supply I built (and a second one I will be building at some point when I get around to it). I was very pleased with the quality of them. I just have not gotten around to figuring out where on the power supply to put them.

dcarlson314

Jun 25, 2019
Thanks so much for that info! I emailed the seller on ebay about making some VIC-20 badges. Hopefully it won't be too much trouble. I was surprised they didn't have them already seeing that they had many other slightly less popular models available.

I'm just hoping to restore this particular one to as close to factory as I can... future-proofing aside. I also use one of Ray Carlsen's power supplies that work with the VIC/C64/128 so I can preserve the original one until I figure out a way to replace it's internals to modern day specs.

Could you give us a shout when your emblem arrives and tell us what you think of the quality?

Thanks again!!

I have not seen Vic20 badges (embossed that is, I did find these: http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?82379-VIC20-VC20-replica-paper-label-case-badges they aren't embossed, and the thread hasn't updated in awhile).

I don't know if this seller would be interested in making them though: https://www.ebay.com/usr/marstickers?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

They make the C64 embossed badges, standard, silver commodore, gold commodore and "gold label" styles. I recently ordered the gold label, as I am not going for the original look on my C64 that came without a badge, it won't ever be quite factory anyways for various reasons. My other C64 is quite original and I plan to keep it that way. I am not sure, but they look to possibly be using a CNC machine? I won't know until mine arrives.

I did order some silver chrome Commodore Stickers for the seller a few months ago. I plan putting on them C64 power supply I built (and a second one I will be building at some point when I get around to it). I was very pleased with the quality of them. I just have not gotten around to figuring out where on the power supply to put them.

Markeno

Jul 19, 2019
hobbytronics.home.blog
Sure, it could show up any day over the next 2 weeks from what the shipping estimate says. They are a different type of product than the other stickers I purchased from them, I hope they are of a similar high quality though.

Markeno

Jul 19, 2019
hobbytronics.home.blog
The badge came in today. I am not sure how they are made, the originals being pressed aluminum with paint, these are a plastic base and thicker. They look great though and fit very nicely. As I said, I didn't get the original ones, I picked up the Gold Label style. So I have a picture of them compared to the originals on my stock breadbin. Then I have the other pictures showing them in place (well nearly) on the case they will eventually be put on. I don't know how they are made as they are flush on the surface, black paint over the gold base? I think they look good in the pictures, but they even better in person. I couldn't be any happier with how they turned out. They came in 11days to central PA from Poland. That wasn't too bad I figure.

20190826_191636.jpg20190826_191640.jpg20190826_191536.jpg20190826_191540.jpg

Reactions: Mike

dcarlson314

Jun 25, 2019
Wow!! Those DO look amazing! I still haven't heard back from the seller but will give it another week before I buzz them again. With that kind of quality, I'm ok with "settling" for the updated badge. ;)

If they decide to make a run of fancy VIC-20 badges, I'll post them up likewise.

Thanks again!
-DC

The badge came in today. I am not sure how they are made, the originals being pressed aluminum with paint, these are a plastic base and thicker. They look great though and fit very nicely. As I said, I didn't get the original ones, I picked up the Gold Label style. So I have a picture of them compared to the originals on my stock breadbin. Then I have the other pictures showing them in place (well nearly) on the case they will eventually be put on. I don't know how they are made as they are flush on the surface, black paint over the gold base? I think they look good in the pictures, but they even better in person. I couldn't be any happier with how they turned out. They came in 11days to central PA from Poland. That wasn't too bad I figure.

View attachment 204View attachment 205View attachment 201View attachment 202

Reactions: Mike