What are the benefits of membrane switches?

elecflex

Oct 30, 2019
Hi guys,

Membrane switches let users communicate commands to their respective devices. They can differ significantly in terms of complexity from a simple switch controlling lighting to a far more complex switch, which is specially designed to integrate with a computer. You can get more benefits by using the membrane switches. These are

These switches are easy to clean.
These switches are much smoother, and the surfaces are cleaned.
They are much more comfortable than rubber made keypads to protect against the UV radiation that damages electronic devices.

May 22, 2019
I can see their utility in extreme environments: a sealed membrane keyboard can keep out water, dust, and other contaminants.

But from a usability perspective, mechanical keyswitches are far superior: mechanical keyswitches have a much better tactile response, are faster, and can be individually replaced if they are damaged or wear out. They can also last much longer, with millions of activation cycles and decades of service life. Many IBM keyboards, for example, are still in service after more than 40 years.

For computer applications, basically everything we do here, I'm always going to prefer a mechanical keyswitch. the only place I'd likely want a membrane switch is someplace like a garage or outdoor environment. Event then, it would be control pads that don't get much use, rather than a computer keyboard or gaming controller.