What to do with an old TI-994A Computer

nbrewer

Aug 14, 2019
Hello all! This is my first post here. I've been enjoying the 8-bit guy videos for a long time, and thought this mihgt be a perfect place to post a question I've had for a while now.... What should I do with my grandfather's old TI-994A computer? I asked around my family, and everyone is glad I still have it, but no one wants it. And, in a few years, my wife and I want to travel in an RV full time, so we're pairing down our "stuff" to the bare minimum. And, this wonderful old TI won't have a home anymore.
Before someone recommends eBay, I want to give some history first. I am currently a computer programmer by trade, and have been professionally for almost 20 years now. And guess where I learned to write code? You guessed it, this old TI-994A! I would sit for hours copying code out of magazines, and then tinkering with the code and making changes. I learned a ton, and was always happy to go visit the grandparents!
My grandfather didn't skimp either. He had all the bells and whistles, including but not limited to the memory expansion, monitor, voice synthisizer, and I don't remember everythiing. I played Parsec for hours! I loved, loved, loved this machine, and I wouldn't be where I am today without it.

So, what should I do with it. As a last resort, I can sell it on eBay, possibly part it out. But I'd love to see it go on to greener pastures. Maybe find someone wanting to restore it. Maybe donate it to a museum. I don't know. I turned it on maybe 5 years ago, and played a game of Parsec. But, I'm sure time has been hard on the capacitors, and I'm sure it will need some TLC to get it back to its former glory.

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

Ironnerd

Sounds like a machine with a lot of well-earned sentimental value.

I think you should give these guys a try AtariAge Forum - TI-99/4A Board. They are as close to TI-99 junkies as I can find. If anyone can find a good home for your machine, these guys can.

You should also know about some of the modern expansions which can be found here: AtariAge Forum - TI-99/4A Development Resources.
There is a surprising amount of stuff out there for our old "Also-Ran" machines.

And... you can emulate it on RetroPi, so you can still have the essence of the machine in a computer you can carry in your shirt pocket.

Matt_PC-1

Oct 8, 2019
Hello all! This is my first post here. I've been enjoying the 8-bit guy videos for a long time, and thought this mihgt be a perfect place to post a question I've had for a while now.... What should I do with my grandfather's old TI-994A computer? I asked around my family, and everyone is glad I still have it, but no one wants it. And, in a few years, my wife and I want to travel in an RV full time, so we're pairing down our "stuff" to the bare minimum. And, this wonderful old TI won't have a home anymore.
Before someone recommends eBay, I want to give some history first. I am currently a computer programmer by trade, and have been professionally for almost 20 years now. And guess where I learned to write code? You guessed it, this old TI-994A! I would sit for hours copying code out of magazines, and then tinkering with the code and making changes. I learned a ton, and was always happy to go visit the grandparents!
My grandfather didn't skimp either. He had all the bells and whistles, including but not limited to the memory expansion, monitor, voice synthisizer, and I don't remember everythiing. I played Parsec for hours! I loved, loved, loved this machine, and I wouldn't be where I am today without it.

So, what should I do with it. As a last resort, I can sell it on eBay, possibly part it out. But I'd love to see it go on to greener pastures. Maybe find someone wanting to restore it. Maybe donate it to a museum. I don't know. I turned it on maybe 5 years ago, and played a game of Parsec. But, I'm sure time has been hard on the capacitors, and I'm sure it will need some TLC to get it back to its former glory.

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Hi nbrewer, do you have an update on the disposition of this system?

nbrewer

Aug 14, 2019
Sounds like a machine with a lot of well-earned sentimental value.

I think you should give these guys a try AtariAge Forum - TI-99/4A Board. They are as close to TI-99 junkies as I can find. If anyone can find a good home for your machine, these guys can.

You should also know about some of the modern expansions which can be found here: AtariAge Forum - TI-99/4A Development Resources.
There is a surprising amount of stuff out there for our old "Also-Ran" machines.

And... you can emulate it on RetroPi, so you can still have the essence of the machine in a computer you can carry in your shirt pocket.
I'm only just seeing this, thank you for the long reply and resources, I'll check it out!

codewar65

Sep 25, 2019
I had an TI-99/4. If I still had it, I'd fry eggs on. Mine got hotter than the hinges of Hades. Especially around that flat spot by the cartridge slot.

Without a memory expansion card, the TI-99/4 was a boat anchor IMHO. It shared memory with the TMS9918 afaik and slowed it down to a dog. It was a horrible design due to saving money on memory. I upgraded from a 16 bit machine to a 8 bit VIC-20. It felt it was a great move (then and now).