X16 Basic

millenniumtree

Oct 2, 2019
From http://mmbasic.com/porting.html

Requirements
MMBasic requires a CPU with 32 bit integers and pointers supported by an ANSI or C89 C compiler.

I'm guessing that shoehorning a native 32 bit basic into an 8 bit CPU is going to be a bad day. :D
Then again, some people like to jump out of a perfectly good plane, so... maybe that's a good time for someone... *shrug*

We've been suggesting potential new commands for the X16 BASIC, so if you find any in their documentation that would be useful, you can suggest them.

Last edited:
May 22, 2019
The problem is that MMBASIC is not open source, and Geoff will not make it available as open source after a commercial company built and sold Maximite devices.

I think maybe Geoff didn't understand the implications when he released MMBASIC under an open source license; that this kind of use is acceptable under any OSS license; regardless, MMBASIC is not availble for commercial projects like this.

Reactions: millenniumtree
May 22, 2019
However, I do not see any indication that the authors of this project intend to respect the copyrights of the original system software authors.
What evidence do you have for such a statement? As far as I can tell, they're being even more conscientious about Copyrights than most people. They have built an entire kernel from scratch, for example, and are writing a new machine monitor from scratch, despite the fact that there are a number of public domain ones they could use.

This is not a team who intends to violate anyone's copyrights, and they are literally giving away the software. The emulator and the ROMs are being distributed under BSD license.

Reactions: Schlowski

qbradq

Sep 14, 2019
What evidence do you have for such a statement? As far as I can tell, they're being even more conscientious about Copyrights than most people. They have built an entire kernel from scratch, for example, and are writing a new machine monitor from scratch, despite the fact that there are a number of public domain ones they could use.

This is not a team who intends to violate anyone's copyrights, and they are literally giving away the software. The emulator and the ROMs are being distributed under BSD license.
First, the BASIC is based on the disassembly of MS BASIC 2.0, yes? Second, GEOS is included in whole now. Third, I was not aware of a complete KERNAL re-write. I thought it was again being based on the disassembled sources from the C64.

Setting aside the KERNAL ATM, since I don't have good information on it. That's still two licenses being broken. Regarding intent, there is active work on the BASIC ROM to further enhance and extend it, not to replace it with a from-scratch, non-infringing version. Furthermore GEOS was just added, meaning there's one more license being broken now verses the r31 tag.

Also, the monitor was taken from TFC3, yes?

Please correct if I am wrong. But this is what I base the statement on.

May 22, 2019
First, the BASIC is based on the disassembly of MS BASIC 2.0, yes? Second, GEOS is included in whole now. Third, I was not aware of a complete KERNAL re-write. I thought it was again being based on the disassembled sources from the C64.

Setting aside the KERNAL ATM, since I don't have good information on it. That's still two licenses being broken. Regarding intent, there is active work on the BASIC ROM to further enhance and extend it, not to replace it with a from-scratch, non-infringing version. Furthermore GEOS was just added, meaning there's one more license being broken now verses the r31 tag.

Also, the monitor was taken from TFC3, yes?

Please correct if I am wrong. But this is what I base the statement on.
the monitor is temporary and is being re-written from scratch.

8 bit Microsoft BASIC was granted to the community years ago.

i have not tried the GEOS statement, yet, but the comment that was made in the FB group implied that only the parts needed to make it compatible with the Commander are in ROM. You still need a D64 with GEOS on it to actually use GEOS.

As far as I can tell, everything the team is actually distributing is already either in the public domain, permitted for non-commercial distribution, or is being actively replaced with new code. If you are not sure of the Copyright status of some piece of software used in the system, I recommend you ask Michael Steil, as he’s doing the majority of the coding work.

qbradq

Sep 14, 2019
the monitor is temporary and is being re-written from scratch.

8 bit Microsoft BASIC was granted to the community years ago.

i have not tried the GEOS statement, yet, but the comment that was made in the FB group implied that only the parts needed to make it compatible with the Commander are in ROM. You still need a D64 with GEOS on it to actually use GEOS.

As far as I can tell, everything the team is actually distributing is already either in the public domain, permitted for non-commercial distribution, or is being actively replaced with new code. If you are not sure of the Copyright status of some piece of software used in the system, I recommend you ask Michael Steil, as he’s doing the majority of the coding work.
Thanks! I will work with Michael to document the origins and licensing of the source code.

Reactions: TomXP411